SOUTH COTABATO - A total of 106 residents of Barangay Lumakilin in Polomolok, South Cotabato were downed by food poisoning on Friday morning.
Most of the residents, who were from Purok Maguindanao and Masipag, were brought to the municipal hospital after suffering stomach pains, vomiting and diarrhea.
Only 29 patients were admitted at the hospital and were given intravenous fluids.
One of the patients, Javis Tamay, said he felt stomach pains after attending an outreach program of the barangay affairs unit of the provincial government of South Cotabato where packed meals were distributed.
According to Barangay Lumakil Kagawad Edwin Apistar, volunteers from the community cooked lunch from the packs distributed to the residents.
Residents started to complain of stomach aches simultaneously.
Apistar added that Barangay Captain Edirico Cuenca Jr. was also brought to a private hospital because of diarrhea.
Assistant Provincial Health Officer Dr. Alah Baby Vingno said they have gathered samples of the food given to the patients, water samples from the pump, and rectal swabs from selected patients for testing and investigation.