Robredo says AFP won't support revolutionary gov't | ABS-CBN

ADVERTISEMENT

dpo-dps-seal
Welcome, Kapamilya! We use cookies to improve your browsing experience. Continuing to use this site means you agree to our use of cookies. Tell me more!

Robredo says AFP won't support revolutionary gov't

Robredo says AFP won't support revolutionary gov't

ABS-CBN News

Clipboard

Vice President Leni Robredo was given a national security briefing by the officials of the Armed Forces of the Philippines, led by its new chief of staff, Lt. Gen. Rey Leonardo Guerrero, and Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana on Wednesday, November 8, 2017, at the Philippine Air Force headquarters in Pasay City. Photo courtesy of the Office of the Vice President

MANILA- Vice President Leni Robredo on Wednesday said she received the assurance of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) that it will not support any efforts to establish a revolutionary government.

Robredo, who met with newly installed AFP Chief of Staff Lt. Gen. Rey Leonardo Guerrero and Defense Chief Delfin Lorenzana, said she was assured by both officials that they will not support efforts that go against the Constitution.

“In-assure tayo, in no uncertain terms, both ni Secretary Lorenzana saka ni AFP Chief of Staff Guerrero, na hindi sila susuporta sa revolutionary government at [sa] kahit anong threat sa ating Konstitusyon,” she told ABS-CBN News following the security briefing at the Philippine Air Force headquarters in Pasay City.

“Tinanong ko sila kung where does AFP stand dito sa lahat na usap-usapan doon sa revolutionary government, kasi medyo maugong ngayon... Nagtatanong pa din tayo kasi may mga opisyal ng pamahalaan na involved sa usapin ng revolutionary government. Pero this afternoon, na-assure tayo, at madiin iyong assurance na hindi sila susuporta sa ganiyan[g mga plano],” she added.

ADVERTISEMENT

The idea of setting up a revolutionary government was first floated by President Rodrigo Duterte last month amid alleged destabilization efforts by his enemies, which supposedly includes communist rebels, the rich, and even the United States Central Intelligence Agency (CIA).

Duterte said he will set up a revolutionary government and declare all positions in government vacant if the country descends into chaos amid what he believes are efforts by his political enemies to destabilize his administration.

United States Ambassador Sung Kim has denied Duterte's allegations that the CIA is behind efforts to oust the chief executive.

Some senators, particularly those who are members of cause-oriented group Tindig Pilipinas, also criticized Duterte's pronouncements, saying only a "paranoid and insecure little man" would feel the need to declare a revolutionary government.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker on our website.

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker on our website.