Duterte dares Chief Justice, Ombudsman: Let's resign | ABS-CBN

ADVERTISEMENT

dpo-dps-seal
Welcome, Kapamilya! We use cookies to improve your browsing experience. Continuing to use this site means you agree to our use of cookies. Tell me more!

Duterte dares Chief Justice, Ombudsman: Let's resign

Duterte dares Chief Justice, Ombudsman: Let's resign

ABS-CBN News

 | 

Updated Oct 01, 2017 02:04 PM PHT

Clipboard

Prez curses deputy Ombudsman, IBP head

Chief Justice Maria Lourdes Sereno, President Rodrigo Duterte and Ombudsman Conchita Carpio Morales. File/Composite

MANILA - President Rodrigo Duterte on Saturday challenged the heads of the Supreme Court and Office of the Ombudsman to resign with him amid an investigation into his wealth that allegedly amounted to billions of pesos

Duterte alleged that Chief Justice Maria Lourdes Sereno and Ombudsman Conchita Carpio Morales had allowed themselves to be "used" in the corruption allegations against him.

"Huwag na tayong magbolohan, iyung pa-ek-ek ninyo sa publiko. I said I am ready to lose the presidency, my honor, my life... I now challenge Carpio to resign with me at itong si Supreme Court justice," the President said in a speech before the Integrated Bar of the Philippines (IBP) Davao City chapter.

(Let us not fool ourselves and the public. I've said that I am ready to lose the presidency, my honor my life. I now challenge Carpio to resign with me, as well as the Supreme Court justice.)

ADVERTISEMENT

"Hoy! Hindi ako mamatay kapag hindi ako Presidente... Kami man ang nagpapagulo, nagpapagamit iyang dalawa e. Eh di magresign tayo. I challenge the two, we will go to Congress in a simple ceremony. We sign the letter of resignation. Sige nga, then let us open all the books, pati inyo" he added.

(I will not die if I am not President. We are creating chaos, because the 2 have allowed themselves to be used. Let's just resign then. I challenge the 2, we will go to Congress in a simple ceremony. We sign the letter of resignation. Come, let us open all our books, even yours.)

The SC, Duterte said, is headed by a "corrupt" official whose statement of assets, liabilities, and net worth failed to declare a professional fee for the "Piatco" case.

An impeachment complaint against Sereno has alleged that she did not declare a professional fee of some P30 million for representing the transportation department when the Philippine International Air Terminals Co. Inc (Piatco) sued them.

Duterte meanwhile blasted the Ombudsman for allegedly administering "selective justice" in prioritizing the corruption investigation against him.

"Morales, unahin mo iyung mga kaso nun na nai-file matagal na. You are on a selective justice. ******. Bakit nauna iyang sa amin na hindi pa totoo?" he said.

Sereno's lawyers earlier said the corruption accusations against her are "bare-faced" lies from unverified sources. Morales, for her part, has maintained the she has been independent in her decisions and is not biased towards anyone.

CURSES ON A ROLL

Overall Deputy Ombudsman Arthur Carandang last week said his office had obtained from the Anti-Money Laundering Council (AMLC) bank transaction documents of the President and his family in line with its ongoing investigation.

Carandang said the family’s transactions amount to hundreds of millions of pesos from different banks between 2006 until 2016.

Duterte said Carandang holds "falsified" documents because the AMLC itself denied releasing information to the Ombumdsman.

"Magdasal ka lang Carandang. I'm not threatening you. 'Pag nagkaletse-letse ang Pilipinas, uunahin kita," the President warned.

Duterte went on to curse at IBP national president Abdiel Dan Elijah Fajardo, who earlier urged him to lay off the Ombudsman and said that public officials "must not be onion-skinned."

"You say do not be onion-skinned. ***** Who are you to tell me in face of fabricated evidence? Sinabi ko na before the election, wala ako niyan at wala ako ngayon, I said to your sorrow. Ihampas ko sa mukha mo yang ****** papel na iyan," Duterte said.

The President said his Landbank account only had a balance of P40 million at one point, but said he would not give his critics proof on a "silver platter."

"Di ko ibigay sa silver platter, hanapin ninyo," he said.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker on our website.

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker on our website.