MANILA - President Rodrigo Duterte's declaration of a "national emergency" after a deadly bombing in Davao City last week will not lead to martial law, a senior cabinet official said Tuesday.
Implementing rules of the proclamation, which will allow the military to assist the police in suppressing lawlessness, will be released within the day, Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea said.
"Hindi ito martial law, hindi ito going to martial law [This is not martial law. This is not going into martial law]," Medialdea told DZMM.
Fourteen people were killed while 67 others were hurt after a bomb explosion ripped through a packed night market in the President's hometown on Friday.
Investigators are looking at four "persons of interest" and Davao Mayor Sara Duterte put up a P2 million bounty to capture the bomber. The extremist group Abu Sayyaf has claimed responsibility for the attack.
Medialdea said tightened security measures were in place to prevent future attacks.
"Ang intelligence report po namin... pwede siyang mangyari sa iba't ibang parte ng Pilipinas. Ayaw naman nating dagdagan pa 'yung 14 nangamatay [According to intelligence reports, it can happen in other parts of the country. We don't want to add to the 14 deaths]," he said.
The Philippines was placed under martial law for nearly a decade by former president Ferdinand Marcos in the 1970s, during which hundreds were allegedly tortured, raped and arbitrarily detained by security forces. -- Sofia Regalado, ABS-CBN News