Duterte reiterates: I will never compromise with terrorists | ABS-CBN

ADVERTISEMENT

dpo-dps-seal
Welcome, Kapamilya! We use cookies to improve your browsing experience. Continuing to use this site means you agree to our use of cookies. Tell me more!

Duterte reiterates: I will never compromise with terrorists

Duterte reiterates: I will never compromise with terrorists

ABS-CBN News

 | 

Updated Jul 02, 2017 10:03 PM PHT

Clipboard

MANILA - President Rodrigo Duterte on Saturday asserted that he will never compromise with terrorists as government offensives against Islamic State-linked groups continued in Marawi City a month since clashes began.

"I will never, never compromise with the terrorists," Duterte said in a speech delivered during the 50th founding anniversary of Davao del Norte.

"Walang ideology 'yan. They have corrupted Islam. Wala kayong makuha sa kanilang nationalism," said the president, who even flashed his holstered gun to send a message to those who threatened to "destroy" the country. "Do not destroy my country because I will really kill you at totoo talaga 'yan," he added.

Toward the end of his speech, he reiterated his fighting stance: "We will not go out there until the last terrorist is executed."

ADVERTISEMENT

The president's statement came days after the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) offered to broker negotiations with the extremists in a bid to end the protracted fighting in the Islamic City.

The Maute brothers, Omar and Abdullah, were former members of the MILF before they were radicalized in the Middle East. They are known to have plotted the Marawi attacks with other terror leaders, including Abu Sayyaf's Isnilon Hapilon, the anointed ISIS emir in Southeast Asia.

"Maybe if the President will permit us to talk to them, then we are ready," MILF chairman Murad Ebrahim earlier told ABS-CBN News in an exclusive interview.

Murad said the MILF was able to speak with the Mautes again after part of his group entered the war zone during an 8-hour humanitarian ceasefire on Eid'l Fitr Sunday, the end of Ramadan.

The Mautes also offered to set free one of its hostages, Catholic priest Fr. Chito Suganob, in exchange for the release of his parents, Cayamora and Farhana, who were arrested separately last month.

Palace and military officials refused to take the offer.

As of 6 p.m. Thursday, the government placed the death toll in the Marawi crisis at 429, among them 303 terror suspects, 82 government troops, and 44 civilians. More than 200,000 residents have meanwhile fled the conflict.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker on our website.

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker on our website.