Mortar round killed 13 Marines: AFP | ABS-CBN
ADVERTISEMENT

Welcome, Kapamilya! We use cookies to improve your browsing experience. Continuing to use this site means you agree to our use of cookies. Tell me more!
Mortar round killed 13 Marines: AFP
Mortar round killed 13 Marines: AFP
ABS-CBN News
Published Jun 11, 2017 06:59 PM PHT
|
Updated Jun 12, 2017 01:02 AM PHT

MANILA - A mortar round killed most of the 13 Marines during a clash against the Maute group on Friday, the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) Western Mindanao Command (WESMINCOM) said Sunday.
MANILA - A mortar round killed most of the 13 Marines during a clash against the Maute group on Friday, the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) Western Mindanao Command (WESMINCOM) said Sunday.
“May sumabog sa kabila and then merong mortars na tumama sa posisyon ng marines, dun nagkaroon tayo ng casualty. Mortar round, pag tumama yan sa pinaka-sentro, it can create more than 11 casualties,” said WESMINCOM Commander Lt. Gen. Carlito Galvez Jr.
“May sumabog sa kabila and then merong mortars na tumama sa posisyon ng marines, dun nagkaroon tayo ng casualty. Mortar round, pag tumama yan sa pinaka-sentro, it can create more than 11 casualties,” said WESMINCOM Commander Lt. Gen. Carlito Galvez Jr.
He said the Maute group has more knowledge on the terrain of Marawi City. Galvez added that a bridge near the site of the encounter also posed a disadvantage to government troops as they could not cross it without being exposed to sniper fire.
He said the Maute group has more knowledge on the terrain of Marawi City. Galvez added that a bridge near the site of the encounter also posed a disadvantage to government troops as they could not cross it without being exposed to sniper fire.
“Kung makikita mo rin kasi yung bridge na yun from 3 blocks papaakyat yan. So ibig sabihin nasa higher positions ang kalaban. So with that disadvantage, malaki ang possibility na magkakaroon talaga ng casualties,” he said.
“Kung makikita mo rin kasi yung bridge na yun from 3 blocks papaakyat yan. So ibig sabihin nasa higher positions ang kalaban. So with that disadvantage, malaki ang possibility na magkakaroon talaga ng casualties,” he said.
ADVERTISEMENT
So far, 58 government troops have been killed while 21 civilians and over 140 Maute fighters have died in the Marawi siege.
So far, 58 government troops have been killed while 21 civilians and over 140 Maute fighters have died in the Marawi siege.
AFP Chief Eduardo Año however, said these are “acceptable statistics” as the Marawi siege is a “hybrid war.”
AFP Chief Eduardo Año however, said these are “acceptable statistics” as the Marawi siege is a “hybrid war.”
“The [Maute] do not play by the rules. They burn houses that complicated the situation,” he said.
“The [Maute] do not play by the rules. They burn houses that complicated the situation,” he said.
“And in so doing, nagkakaroon tayo ng casualty particularly in sniper fires. Acceptable pa rin yung ganung statistics but of course we don’t want to lose men in fighting,” Año continued.
“And in so doing, nagkakaroon tayo ng casualty particularly in sniper fires. Acceptable pa rin yung ganung statistics but of course we don’t want to lose men in fighting,” Año continued.
“And considering also the gains and successes that we have had for the last 16 to 17 days, we are really gaining and winning in this endeavor so kaunting pasensya na lang ho,” Año added.
“And considering also the gains and successes that we have had for the last 16 to 17 days, we are really gaining and winning in this endeavor so kaunting pasensya na lang ho,” Año added.
Read More:
Maute
Marawi
Mindanao
AFP
WESMINCOM
Armed Forces of the Philippines
Western Mindanao Command
Carlito Galvez
Eduardo Ano
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT