The Human Rights Victims' Claims Board has released the names of 4,000 martial law victims eligible for reparation under the government's P10-billion compensation package.
Among those on the list are prominent victims of the late strongman Ferdinand Marcos' regime, Social Welfare Secretary Judy Taguiwalo and former Commission on Human Rights Chair Loretta Ann Rosales.
Claims releases may be expected within this quarter, the board said.
On its website, the claims board said those on the preliminary list were eligible claimants and new applicants.
The board said it has to resolve en banc all appeals and challenges to the claims and then publish a final list of eligible claimants before the monetary award could be distributed.
Martial law victims have earlier sought President Rodrigo Duterte's help to expedite the processing of claims and the distribution of awards and reparation.
The President is known to be friends with the Marcos family, as his father Vicente served under the late dictator's cabinet. With his approval, Marcos was buried in secrecy-shrouded rites at the Libingan ng mga Bayani on Nov. 18 last year.
The Human Rights Victims’ Claims Board is an independent quasi-judicial body created through Republic Act 10368 (the Human Rights Victims Reparation and Recognition Act of 2013) to recognize and provide reparations to victims of human rights violations during the Marcos regime.
Under the law, a P10-billion fund has been dedicated for the monetary remuneration of martial law victims.
The list of names of the 4,000 beneficiaries is posted on the HRVCB website and on their official Facebook page.