Mocha Uson faces fresh raps over alleged disinformation | ABS-CBN

ADVERTISEMENT

dpo-dps-seal
Welcome, Kapamilya! We use cookies to improve your browsing experience. Continuing to use this site means you agree to our use of cookies. Tell me more!

Mocha Uson faces fresh raps over alleged disinformation

Mocha Uson faces fresh raps over alleged disinformation

ABS-CBN News

 | 

Updated Apr 02, 2018 03:51 PM PHT

Clipboard

Communications Assistant Secretary Margaux "Mocha" Uson answers questions at a Senate hearing on fake news in October 2017. George Calvelo, ABS-CBN News

MANILA - (2ND UPDATE) Student leaders from Akbayan Youth on Monday lodged another set of administrative complaints against Communications Assistant Secretary Margaux "Mocha" Uson for allegedly peddling "fake news."

The group carried coffee cups with photos of Uson and the text "#FireMocha" as they accused the official of gross misconduct, serious dishonesty and conduct prejudicial to the best interest of the service before the Office of the Ombudsman.

In response to the complaint, Uson posted a video of her thanking the activist group for giving her an idea what to name a coffee shop.

"Nagpapasalamat po ako sa Akbayan Youth dahil binigyan po nila ako ng idea sa magiging pangalan ng aking future coffee shop. Ito ang 'Fire Mocha Cafe.' Abangan niyo po yan. Salamat, kape tayo," she said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Shaniah Bulangis, co-convener of Youth Resist, noted that Uson falsely claimed in November 2017 that St. Scholastica's College forced students to attend anti-Ferdinand Marcos burial rallies.

Uson, in separate instances, also mistakenly said that Mayon is located in Naga City, and encouraged the public to visit the wake of a policeman who turned out to have passed away long ago, the student leader added.

The Communications Undersecretary, who has nearly 5.6 million followers on her Facebook page, has repeatedly denied spreading false information.

Senator Antonio Trillanes IV last year sought Uson's dismissal from office by filing criminal and administrative charges after she uploaded photos of his supposed offshore bank accounts.

Asked about the allegations against Uson, Senior Deputy Executive Secretary Menardo Guevarra said: "She has consistently denied it, so I take her word for it."

"I'm sure Asec Mocha will be able to defend herself, meron namang mga process to observe and follow. She will be given her fair chance to explain," he added.

With a report from Joyce Balancio, ABS-CBN News

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker on our website.

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker on our website.