Palace: Politicians paid for NY Times 'demolition job' against Duterte | ABS-CBN

ADVERTISEMENT

dpo-dps-seal
Welcome, Kapamilya! We use cookies to improve your browsing experience. Continuing to use this site means you agree to our use of cookies. Tell me more!

Palace: Politicians paid for NY Times 'demolition job' against Duterte

Palace: Politicians paid for NY Times 'demolition job' against Duterte

Jamaine Punzalan,

ABS-CBN News

Clipboard

President Rodrigo Duterte gestures while answering questions during a news conference upon arrival from a trip to Myanmar and Thailand, Thursday. Romeo Ranoco, Reuters

BAYARAN? Malacañang claimed Monday that some individuals, including politicians, had paid US-based publication The New York Times (NYT) to carry out a "demolition work" against President Rodrigo Duterte.

Presidential Spokesperson Ernesto Abella alleged that the 165-year-old publication appears to be part of a "well funded campaign" to remove Duterte from office.

"The newspaper tries to stir global outrage in a nation that welcomes its newfound peace and order. One can only conclude that certain personalities and politicians have mounted a well funded campaign utilizing hack writers and their ilk in their bid to oust PRRD (Duterte)," Abella said in a statement.

The NYT last week published 3 pieces about Duterte: a feature on his rise to the presidency; an editorial urging the international community to hold him accountable for the "slaughter" of suspected criminals amid his war on drugs; and a video documentary highlighting vigilante killings in the Philippines.

ADVERTISEMENT

Abella said the publication's profile on Duterte depicts his rise to power under "the context of violence" while the editorial mouthed "unsubstantiated claims."

"NYT’s very obvious demolition work flies in the face of the very high approval of PPRD enjoys," Abella added.

Under the scrutiny of publication, Duterte's spokesperson vowed that the administration will "not be deterred in fulfilling its promise of building a progressive and inclusive nation free from drugs, crimes and corruption."

-- With reports from Dexter Ganibe, ABS-CBN News

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker on our website.

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker on our website.