WATCH: Informal settlers fight police to prevent demolition | ABS-CBN
ADVERTISEMENT

Welcome, Kapamilya! We use cookies to improve your browsing experience. Continuing to use this site means you agree to our use of cookies. Tell me more!
WATCH: Informal settlers fight police to prevent demolition
WATCH: Informal settlers fight police to prevent demolition
ABS-CBN News
Published Mar 08, 2016 12:42 PM PHT
|
Updated Mar 08, 2016 02:24 PM PHT

MANILA - Informal settlers clashed with police to prevent the demolition of their homes in Barangay Culiat, Quezon City Tuesday morning.
MANILA - Informal settlers clashed with police to prevent the demolition of their homes in Barangay Culiat, Quezon City Tuesday morning.
Policemen used tear gas on residents along Luzon Avenue, affecting several informal settlers who were protesting the impending demolition of their homes.
Policemen used tear gas on residents along Luzon Avenue, affecting several informal settlers who were protesting the impending demolition of their homes.
Sheriff Bienvenido Reyes Jr. of the Quezon City Regional Trial Court Branch 98 said the court has ordered the demolition of some 80 houses in the 2,000-square meter property owned by the Picache family.
Sheriff Bienvenido Reyes Jr. of the Quezon City Regional Trial Court Branch 98 said the court has ordered the demolition of some 80 houses in the 2,000-square meter property owned by the Picache family.
Reyes said a notice to vacate had been given to the residents in November last year. He said the residents failed to secure a halt order from the court.
Reyes said a notice to vacate had been given to the residents in November last year. He said the residents failed to secure a halt order from the court.
ADVERTISEMENT
Commission on Human Rights (CHR) officials were also present but this did not prevent violence from erupting.
Commission on Human Rights (CHR) officials were also present but this did not prevent violence from erupting.
Seven children and a woman were rushed to the hospital after encountering difficulty in breathing due to the tear gas.
Seven children and a woman were rushed to the hospital after encountering difficulty in breathing due to the tear gas.
Isa sa 7 bata na nahirapang makahinga matapos magpakawala ng tear gas ang mga pulis | via @Dennis_Datu pic.twitter.com/CaqfyCDvMb
— DZMM TeleRadyo (@DZMMTeleRadyo) March 8, 2016
Isa sa 7 bata na nahirapang makahinga matapos magpakawala ng tear gas ang mga pulis | via @Dennis_Datu pic.twitter.com/CaqfyCDvMb
— DZMM TeleRadyo (@DZMMTeleRadyo) March 8, 2016
Reyes ordered a stop to the demolition to prevent further injuries.
Reyes ordered a stop to the demolition to prevent further injuries.
The judge said more police will participate when the demolition continues on Wednesday.
The judge said more police will participate when the demolition continues on Wednesday.
Residents said they are ready to fight off the authorities again and file charges in connection with Tuesday's clash.
Residents said they are ready to fight off the authorities again and file charges in connection with Tuesday's clash.
CHR representative Marlene Espiritu said they will investigate the incident.
CHR representative Marlene Espiritu said they will investigate the incident.
She also noted that while residents attacked the police first, the use of tear gas is prohibited. -- Report from Dennis Datu, dzMM
She also noted that while residents attacked the police first, the use of tear gas is prohibited. -- Report from Dennis Datu, dzMM
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT