Duterte refuses to bare medical records

ABS-CBN News

'Ano ako, buang?' quips Davao City mayor

MANILA - Presidential candidate Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte has no plans of disclosing to the public his medical records.

"No, no, no, I will not do that. Ayaw ko. Ano ako, buang (crazy)? Para ka tuloy na you're forcing yourself to say, 'I'm a liar,'" Duterte told reporters at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) before he flew to Davao City Friday afternoon.

Duterte was brought to the Cardinal Santos Medical Center in San Juan Thursday after he suffered from severe migraine prior to his supposed speaking engagement at a forum of doctors at Crowne Plaza hotel in Ortigas.

According to Duterte, he was already not feeling well the day before and was even nursing a fever.

He also noted that his slipped or herniated disc, which he got from a motorcycle accident a few years ago, has been triggering his migraine.

"I was already hitting 39 [degrees Celsius]. Sabi ko sa aide ko, kay Bong [Go], hindi ko talaga kaya, so nag-rest ako. Following day, mga 38 something na lang, sabi ko okay ako," he said.

"Paglabas ko na, nahilo ako... Nasusuka na ako. Sabi ko, di na pwede," he said. "Because of my spinal issue. Hindi naman masyadong masakit but that morning, sumakit lalo."

READ: Duterte gets migraine, skips forum

Duterte underwent X-ray and blood tests at the hospital and he was diagnosed with acute bronchitis. He was discharged around 11 a.m today and was advised by doctors to take some rest.

Duterte admitted that he instructed his staff to tell reporters that he had already flown back to Davao yesterday so the media would not rush to the hospital.

The 70-year-old mayor nonetheless stressed that there is nothing to worry about over the state of his health, adding that he has never lied about his medical condition.

Aside from suffering a slipped disc, Duterte admitted in an earlier interview that he also has Buerger's disease, a condition that causes constriction of blood vessels due to nicotine, and Barrett's disease, which is associated with excessive drinking.

Duterte again denied rumors that he has cancer. "Kung cancer eh di dapat nasa ospital pa ako," the tough-talking mayor said.

According to Duterte, there is no reason for him to release his medical records, dismissing administration standard-bearer Mar Roxas' challenge for all presidential candidates to disclose their health condition.

READ: Roxas open to publicly disclosing health condition

"Tanungin mo muna siya kung tuli ba siya? Hambugin ko itong... Why could he suffer an accident like me kung ang motor niya ilang metro lang matumba siya. Eh hindi naman buhay lalaki si Mar eh. Kaming mga ano, marami kaming bali," Duterte quipped.

"Alam niyo, kung gusto ako ng Pilipino, maski alam nila na isang linggo na lang akong buhay, payag na yan sila. Susugal na yang Pilipino sa akin. Pero yang si Mar, maski mabuhay yan 20 taon, hindi magsusugal sa kanya. Tingnan mo ang [survey] ratings hanggang ngayon," he added.

He assured the public that he will still continue with his three-month long campaign. The Duterte-Cayetano tandem is scheduled to go around Mindanao this weekend.

"Huwag na nila akong alalahanin. Ang alalahanin nila sarili nila para makaboto sila," he said.

"Destiny is God. When you say destiny, it is the act of God. If God wants me to be there, I will be there. If God does not want me to be president, I will never be president."

The Liberal Party (LP), for its part, said it wishes for Duterte's quick recovery and urges all candidates to watch their health in the heat of the campaign season.

"We wish for the speedy recovery of Mayor Duterte. Even in the heat of the campaign, we do not forget his friendship with Mar. We should understand the intense pressure that comes with the campaign. We hope that all candidates would take care of their health," said LP spokesperson Rep. Barry Gutierrez. - With reports from Doris Bigornia, ABS-CBN News; Zhander Cayabyab, dzMM

READ: Binay camp open to releasing VP's medical records

KNOW THE WHOLE STORY