Two years later, justice remains elusive for SAF 44 | ABS-CBN

ADVERTISEMENT

dpo-dps-seal
Welcome, Kapamilya! We use cookies to improve your browsing experience. Continuing to use this site means you agree to our use of cookies. Tell me more!

Two years later, justice remains elusive for SAF 44

Two years later, justice remains elusive for SAF 44

Mae Cornes,

ABS-CBN News

Clipboard

Garcia Tabdi wears a shirt with his slain son's face

BAGUIO– Two days before the second death anniversary of the SAF 44, the father of slain police Senior Inspector Gednat Tabdi wears a shirt bearing his son’s face and the words: “Justice for SAF44”.

For Garcia Tabdi, the pain remains fresh even after two years.

He was teary-eyed as he told how ironic it was that justice for an officer like his son remains elusive.

His family is still haunted by the idea that their son, along with his friends, were butchered.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Iyung justice wala pa rin, sana managot na yung may kasalanan sa nangyari sa kanila, kung sino ang nagpapunta sa kanila dun” Tabdi said.

Officials involved in the incident were summoned to several congressional hearings, but to no avail.

Tabdi's family took it into their own hands to attain justice.

Last year, they filed a separate damage suit against former Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Alan Purisima, former Special Action Force chief Getulio Napenas, and 3 officers of the Philippine Army at the Benguet Regional Trial Court.

They demanded P11,368,500 in compensatory damages--the amount that the slain policeman would have earned if he had lived.

They also asked P500,000 in moral damages and P200,000 in exemplary damages.

The court recently rejected the defendants' petition to dismiss the case.

“Ayaw naming sana makasakit sa kanila, pero nasasaktan din kami” Tabdi said.

On January 25, the country will commemorate the second anniversary of the Mamasapano clash, which saw over 60 individuals, including 44 SAF troopers, killed in an anti-terror operation.

Last year, the PNP said a total of P70 million has been released to the families of the SAF 44.

The Bilog family from Baguio City was able to build a new three-storey house from the said benefits.

“Ang kulang na lang is iyung sa livelihood assistance, may 30 percent pa silang hindi naibibigay,” said Jocelyn Bilog, mother of slain PO1 Russel Bilog.

Money, however, will never make up for the justice that their families deserve, according to Jocelyn.

They will be meeting with President Rodrigo Duterte along with other families of SAF 44.

They will ask the President to re-open the case.

Some of the families of the SAF 44 in Cordillera will be conducting a ritual to commemorate their death.

Thirteen of the slain 44 commandos are from the Cordillera region.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker on our website.

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker on our website.