Nickel industry group lauds due process for shuttered mines | ABS-CBN

ADVERTISEMENT

dpo-dps-seal
Welcome, Kapamilya! We use cookies to improve your browsing experience. Continuing to use this site means you agree to our use of cookies. Tell me more!

Nickel industry group lauds due process for shuttered mines

Nickel industry group lauds due process for shuttered mines

ABS-CBN News

 | 

Updated Feb 09, 2017 07:58 PM PHT

Clipboard

MANILA - The nickel industry on Thursday welcomed Malacanang's declaration that mines ordered shut or suspended by the environment department should be given due process.

The Philippines is the world's top supplier of nickel ore. Environment Secretary Gina Lopez last week shuttered 23 mines and suspended 5 others for alleged violation of safety laws.

"We laud President Duterte and his Cabinet’s evaluation on the matter,” the Philippine Nickel Industry Association said in a statement.

"While we admire the DENR’s advocacy, sweeping statements and policies regarding mining will actually bring more problems than the ones they seek to solve," the group said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Lopez said earlier Thursday that there would be "no cop out" in her fight against destructive mining, ahead of a meeting of a Cabinet oversight body on the mining industry.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker on our website.

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker on our website.