UAAP: UE fends off FEU, ends 15-game losing streak

Camille B. Naredo, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Oct 05 2022 12:59 PM | Updated as of Oct 05 2022 02:09 PM

UE's Kyle Paranada in action against FEU. UAAP Media.
UUE's Kyle Paranada (3) in action against FEU during the first round of the UAAP season 85 men's basketball in Pasig City on October 5, 2022.. Mark Demayo, ABS-CBN News.

MANILA, Philippines -- (UPDATED) University of the East (UE) has won a UAAP game for the first time since 2019, after the Red Warriors held off Far Eastern University (FEU), 76-66, on Wednesday afternoon at the PhilSports Arena in Pasig City.

In their second game of UAAP Season 85, the Red Warriors got a career-game from Kyle Paranada to end a 15-game losing streak. It is their first victory since October 30, 2019, when they outlasted National University, 79-77, to end Season 82.

Since then, the Red Warriors dropped all 14 of their assignments in Season 84, and lost to NU in their first game of Season 85 last Saturday. But they broke through against the Tamaraws, who dropped their second straight game of the tournament.

Paranada exploded for a career-best 25 points and hit key field goals in the final four minutes to cool down the Tamaraws, who had trimmed what was once a 21-point lead to just eight points. The guard also contributed five assists in 21 minutes of playing time.

The Red Warriors took control of the contest through a superb third quarter that saw them limit the Tamaraws to just eight points. FEU made only one of their 11 attempts in the pivotal period, while UE went 9-of-19 including five three-pointers.

"It was a good game. At least 'yung instructions natin, 'yung game plan, na-follow," said UE head coach Jack Santiago. "Meron lang kaming mga lapses down the stretch, but still, the bottom line is, the game plan was followed."

UE's lead reached 21 points, 65-44, off a Paranada bucket early in the fourth quarter. But the Tamaraws worked their way back through Patrick Sleat and Royce Alforque, before a two-handed slam dunk by Cholo Añonuevo brought the UE lead to single digits, 67-59, with 3:28 to play.

The Red Warriors showed no panic, however. Paranda nailed a massive triple with 3:28 left to restore a double-digit spread, then responded to an Alforque jumper with a close-range bucket of his own to keep UE in control, 72-61, with 1:15 to play.

After Kyle Bautista hit a three-pointer to bring the lead down to 10 points, 74-64, with 1:10 to play, Paranda knocked down the dagger for a 76-64 UE advantage with just 47.5 seconds left.

"I'm very happy about the win. It will be momentum for the next games," said Paranada afterward.

No other UE player reached double-digits, with JM Tulabut scoring nine and JM Villegas and Nick Paranada each contributing eight markers.

For FEU, Sleat had 15 points, while Añonuevo battled through foul trouble to finish with 10 points and five rebounds. LJ Gonzales, playing with a mask due to a cut above his left eye, had five points in 23 minutes. 

The scores:

UE 76 -- K. Paranada 25, Tulabut 9, Villegas 8, N. Paranada 8, Pagsanjan 7, Sawat 6, Payawal 5, Stevens 4, Alcantara 2, Antiporda 2, Remogat 0, Beltran 0.

FEU 66 -- Sleat 15, Anonuevo 10, Torres 8, Alforque 6, Bautista 6, Gonzales 5, Tempra 5, Tchuente 4, Gravera 3, Sandagon 2, Songcuya 2, Guibao 0, Ona 0.

Quarters: 18-19, 38-36, 63-44, 76-66.

Related video:

Watch more News on iWantTFC