PBA: San Miguel outlasts TNT in thrilling double-overtime win


Posted at Aug 07 2019 10:14 PM | Updated as of Aug 08 2019 12:43 AM

Terrence Romeo played a huge role in San Miguel's double-overtime win against TNT on Wednesday. PBA Media Bureau

Terrence Romeo scored 29 points, and San Miguel Beer took advantage of TNT losing 2 key players and missing free throws late to win 127-125 in a double-overtime thriller on Wednesday and level the 2019 PBA Commissioner's Cup finals at 1-1.

Game 3 returns to Araneta Coliseum on Friday.

With both teams refusing to lose and engaging in a seemingly unending series of clutch baskets, San Miguel won narrowly.

Tied at 122-all, June Mar Fajardo made 2 free throws and Chris Ross forced a turnover for a breakaway layup to put the Beermen in front 126-122 with 17 seconds left in the game.

Jayson Castro responded with a 3-pointer to make it a 1-point game, giving TNT one more chance to either win or set up a second overtime after Chris McCullough split his free throws for San Miguel.

But Castro missed 2 attempts from downtown in TNT’s final possession, as San Miguel escaped.

McCullough finished with 32 points and 22 rebounds, while Ross contributed 25 points. 

Terrence Jones finished with 28 points and 13 rebounds before being ejected for a second technical foul in the first overtime, while Troy Rosario led TNT with a career-high 34 points to go with 8 3-pointers.

Rosario fouled out in the second overtime with the game tied at 122-all.

Romeo, whose point total was his most wearing the San Miguel jersey, hit a crucial 3-pointer in regulation, one that sent the game to the first overtime.

It was one of many clutch shots in one of the most dramatic games in recent PBA finals memory.

The last 80 seconds of regulation and the 2 overtimes were pulse-pounding, with both San Miguel and TNT hitting one big shot after another.

Rosario hit a 3-pointer to give TNT its first taste of the lead since the first quarter, and Don Trollano stuck a jumper to give the KaTropa a 105-101 lead 56 seconds remaining in regulation.

Free throws by McCullough and a split from the line by Trollano made it 106-103, setting up the game-tying 3-pointer by Romeo with 18 seconds left.

TNT's attempt at a game-winner was foiled when McCullough stripped Jones on the drive, making sure there was overtime.

In the extra session, TNT had a chance to finish off San Miguel when Rosario buried a triple to put TNT ahead 114-111.

But the KaTropa missed 4 free throws and Jones was ejected on a second technical foul for second motion against Ross, giving San Miguel a shot at stretching the game for 5 minutes more. 

After McCullough made the technical free throw with 21 seconds left and Rosario muffed a pair of free throws, Ross secured the rebound and found Alex Cabagnot on the long outlet pass. 

Cabagnot sprinted for a layup with Castro chasing him to level the score at 114-all and arrange a second OT.

After losing Game 1, San Miguel imposed its will in the first half, with Romeo scoring 13 points in the second quarter and helping the Beermen take a 59-45 lead at halftime.

San Miguel’s biggest lead was at 56-39 following a McCullough throwdown 4:15 to go before the break.

But Castro came alive in the 3rd, and Rosario waxed hot in the 4th, where he made 5 3-pointers and scored 17 points, to key TNT’s comeback and set up a dramatic sequence of big shot after big shot.

For more sports coverage, visit the ABS-CBN Sports website.