With its broadcasting partner ABS-CBN shut down, the Premier Volleyball League is left with no other option but to look for another home.
League organizer Sports Vision president Ricky Palou in an interview on Noli Eala’s Power & Play on Saturday said that the PVL is in the process of negotiating with other available networks to air its games.
Beleaguered media giant ABS-CBN was forced to close most of its business units including its sports arm, ABS-CBN Sports, along with the S+A channel, which airs the PVL and other major sports leagues on free TV, after the Congress denied a fresh 25-year mandate on its broadcasting franchise that expired last May.
It left the majority of ABS-CBN’s 11,000 employees jobless starting August 31.
“This gives us no other option but to look for another network to cover our games. We are in the process of doing that,” said Palou.
ABS-CBN S+A welcomed the defunct Shakey’s V-League in 2016 which for the first time aired the games of the 13-year old league live starting from the elimination round.
V-League was rebranded to PVL the following year and was made available via livestream for a wider audience reach.
The PVL had three successful seasons under ABS-CBN. PVL was supposed to start its fourth season last May but was postponed due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
According to Palou, Sports Vision will consult the teams regarding the recent developments and the league’s next steps.
“We’re also consulting the teams on what they think about this and if they have any preference on who’s going to be our coverer,” said Palou. "When we finalize all these details we’ll talk to the different networks and see who’s willing to cover our games.”
As for network options, Palou said that nothing is concrete yet.
TV5 is the broadcasting partner of PVL’s rival league Philippine Superliga since 2015.
“That’s as far as what we’ve got so far,” he said. “We’ve made contacts with some of the networks but nothing is definite yet.”
This story originally appeared on ABS-CBN Sports.