Terrence Romeo still hoping to return to Gilas

Camille B. Naredo, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Jan 03 2019 07:33 PM

MANILA, Philippines – Left out of the national team line-up in the most recent window of the 2019 FIBA World Cup Asian qualifiers, San Miguel guard Terrence Romeo is not losing hope that he can make his way back to Gilas Pilipinas.

Romeo was one of the several Gilas players sanctioned for his participation in the controversial brawl with Australia in July 2018, incurring a three-game ban from FIBA.

He could have suited up for the Philippines in the fifth window late last year, but was not included in the roster by head coach Yeng Guiao.

Now a member of San Miguel Beer following a blockbuster trade from TNT KaTropa, Romeo is hoping that he can return to the national team – maybe even as soon as February, when Gilas Pilipinas plays Qatar and Kazakhstan in a pair of must-win contests.

"Pag deserving ako, maglalaro ako, kasi dream ko 'yun eh," Romeo said Thursday, after his first practice with SMB. "Lagi kong dream 'yun."

Romeo said he is always ready to play for flag and country, but also acknowledged that the decision is not up to him.

"Nasa kanila lang naman 'yun," he said.

"Doon lang sa mga pipili na lang 'yun, kung sino man 'yung mga namimili sa Gilas," he added. "Nasa kanila lang 'yun, kung sino 'yung mga papalaruin nila."

In Romeo's last game for the Philippines, he had 6 points and 5 assists as Gilas was blown out by Australia, 89-53. That game was stopped in the third quarter in the aftermath of the brawl.

For more sports coverage, visit the ABS-CBN Sports website.