Date of Birth:
September 21, 1955
Place of Birth:
Sto. Rosario, Macabebe, Pampanga
Metro Manila Address:
Project 8, Quezon City
Chelin Joan, Ma. Theresa Jae, Ma. Krishna Jennifer, Christian Jay, Jose Constantino
Facebook Account: https://www.facebook.com/t2j.sonza
Veteran broadcaster and former ABS-CBN TV host Jay Sonza first entered politics in 2004, when he decided to run for Senator under the Aksyon Demokratiko party. He ran again in 2007 but likewise failed to win a seat in the Senate.
On having running mate, Vetellano Acosta, disqualified from the presidential race: Sonza said he’d rather run independent (without a tandem) than make a mockery in the election process: “Minarapat ko po na tumakbo mag-isa dahil hindi ko kayang sikmurain ang isang tao to make a mockery of the electoral process that is why I caused the disqualification of the candidate of the party.”
On low ratings in popular surveys: Despite low rankings, Sonza is still confident because he believes “only 16% believe in surveys.” Instead, he trusts his reputation as broadcaster. “(For) 35 years pinagkatiwalaan nyo sa media…bago, subok, matatag ang kredibilidad,” he boasted in his final words in ABS-CBN’s Harapan: The Vice-presidential Debate.
Sonza finished elementary school at the Mabuhay Elementary School and high school at the Nazareth Colleges (or Holy Cross of Basalan College), both in his home town in Basalan, Davao del Sur.
- In college, he took up BA Political Science at the University of Mindanao and BA Economics at the University of the Philippine
- Sonza studied for a a degree in Asia Pacific Politics and Economics at the East-West University in Hawaii, USA and attended the Future Leaders Program of the Civil Service Academy as part of his higher studies.
1987-1995: Sonza served as a host in ABS-CBN Broadcasting Corporation in 1987 with his co-host Carmela “Mel” Tiangco in their program “Mel and Jay”, before it was adapted by GMA 7 (the show is now named Mel and Joey, after Sonza’s replacement, Joey De Leon). In 1993, he also hosted “Pulis, Pulis Kung Umaksiyon, Mabilis in DZMM.
1995-2004: He worked for GMA Network Inc. as supervising producer, consultant as well as host of “Mel and Jay.” He also hosted the evening show “Tapatan with Jay Sonza” as well as the Network’s then evening news, Saksi.
2001: He worked as host for the Associated Broadcasting Corporation’s “Balitang Balita.”
2005-present: Jay Sonza is the current station manager of UNTV 37, where he also hosts the following shows: “Get it Straight”, “Ito ang Balita” and “Good Morning Kuya”. He also hosted “Pilipinas, Gising ka na ba?” until 2007.
He became an editor for People’s Daily forum and a correspondent of Philippine News Agency, Mindanao Mail and Mindanao Daily Mirror. He also became a columnist or contributing editor for the Manila Times, Hot News and Abante.
He became the president and general manager of Smart Promotions Inc., an advertising director of Creative Technics Inc., and MARC Specialist Co. Sonza also worked for ANFLO Management & Development Corporation as special projects director and corporate planning officer.
Then, he also worked for the government as information officer of the Commission on Population of Region XI, as senior executive assistant and public information officer of the Office of the Governor, Davao del Sur and served as a youth development officer for the Bureau of youth, Ministry of Social Development.
- Adviser, Broadcasters Union of the Philippines
- Founding editor, United Broadcasters Cooperative
- Secretary general of the KBP golfer club
- Member, National Press Club
- Member, National Union of Journalists in the Philippines
- Member, Federation of Provincial Press Club
- Member, Kapisanan ng mga Golper sa Broadcast.
- Former Master Exchequer of Alpha Pi Sigma Fraternity.
- Founding chair, Buklod ng mga Kabataan Kawani ng Pilipinas
- Elder of the Oasis of Love Catholic Renewal Community.
Best Celebrity Talk show Host in Mel and Jay, 15th Star Awards for TV in 2001
Oustanding Alumnus Award, University of Mindanao
Outstanding Pampango Award, Pampanga Provincial Government
Outstanding Dadawenyo Award, Provincial Government of Davao del Sur
Outstanding Journalist Award, Rotary Club of Manila
Catholic Mass Media Awards for Public service
Golden Dove Awards, Kapisanan ng Broadkaster ng Pilipinas
New York International television Festival Awards
Asian Television Awards for broadcast excellence
- Chairman and CEO of Tapatan Inc. and First Nine Corporate Food Ventures
- Managing partner of MTH Glass and Aluminum Company
- Consultant of the Hori Group of Companies.
Profile of Jose Sonza,Profile of Jay Sonza,Jay Sonza,Sonza,Vice Presidential Candidates