Teves lawyers hopeful for favorable ruling as Timor-Leste extradition hearings end | ABS-CBN
ADVERTISEMENT

Welcome, Kapamilya! We use cookies to improve your browsing experience. Continuing to use this site means you agree to our use of cookies. Tell me more!
Teves lawyers hopeful for favorable ruling as Timor-Leste extradition hearings end
Teves lawyers hopeful for favorable ruling as Timor-Leste extradition hearings end
Rep. Arnolfo Teves released from preventive detention in Becora Prison in Dili, Timor Leste. Photo courtesy of Atty. Ferdinand Topacio

MANILA (UPDATED) — The legal team of expelled Negros Oriental Rep. Arnolfo Teves, Jr. is hoping for a favorable decision from the Timor-Leste government on the Philippines' extradition request for the former lawmaker, who is facing murder cases back home.
MANILA (UPDATED) — The legal team of expelled Negros Oriental Rep. Arnolfo Teves, Jr. is hoping for a favorable decision from the Timor-Leste government on the Philippines' extradition request for the former lawmaker, who is facing murder cases back home.
The extradition hearings ended last week after both Teves and the Philippine government finished the presentation of their witnesses before the Timor-Leste Court of Appeals.
The extradition hearings ended last week after both Teves and the Philippine government finished the presentation of their witnesses before the Timor-Leste Court of Appeals.
“All I would like to say on record is that we gave it our best shot, and hope and pray that the East Timor court would follow what is in the Constitution, without regard to the diplomatic pressure that the Philippines government has been exerting,” said Teves lawyer Ferdinand Topacio.
“All I would like to say on record is that we gave it our best shot, and hope and pray that the East Timor court would follow what is in the Constitution, without regard to the diplomatic pressure that the Philippines government has been exerting,” said Teves lawyer Ferdinand Topacio.
The Department of Justice (DOJ) wants Teves to face his multiple murder, frustrated murder and attempted murder cases in Manila for the March 4, 2023 attack in Pamplona town that resulted in the death of Gov. Roel Degamo and nine others.
The Department of Justice (DOJ) wants Teves to face his multiple murder, frustrated murder and attempted murder cases in Manila for the March 4, 2023 attack in Pamplona town that resulted in the death of Gov. Roel Degamo and nine others.
ADVERTISEMENT
Topacio added the prosecution side has to submit their memorandum on June 19 while the defense is on the 24th.
Topacio added the prosecution side has to submit their memorandum on June 19 while the defense is on the 24th.
Topacio noted he is assisting Timor-Leste lawyers on points of Philippine law.
Topacio noted he is assisting Timor-Leste lawyers on points of Philippine law.
Teves is currently under house arrest in Timor-Leste.
Teves is currently under house arrest in Timor-Leste.
Meanwhile, Pamplona Mayor Janice Degamo, widow of the late governor, posted on Facebook her continued plea for the return of Teves to the Philippines.
Meanwhile, Pamplona Mayor Janice Degamo, widow of the late governor, posted on Facebook her continued plea for the return of Teves to the Philippines.
"Bringing Arnie Teves back to the Philippines is only the beginning in our quest for justice and I will never stop fighting until Roel’s vision of a Negros Oriental free from the Teves Terrorist Group is achieved," Degamo said.
"Bringing Arnie Teves back to the Philippines is only the beginning in our quest for justice and I will never stop fighting until Roel’s vision of a Negros Oriental free from the Teves Terrorist Group is achieved," Degamo said.
Degamo made the post following the decision of a court in Bayawan City in a separate criminal case which cleared gunmen who allegedly have links to Teves.
Degamo made the post following the decision of a court in Bayawan City in a separate criminal case which cleared gunmen who allegedly have links to Teves.
For its part, the DOJ expressed optimism that the court will side with the Philippine government.
For its part, the DOJ expressed optimism that the court will side with the Philippine government.
"The DOJ is optimistic that a favorable decision will be made by the Court of Appeals, particularly as our witnesses were able to effectively counter the arguments raised by the camp of Teves," the DOJ said in a statement.
"The DOJ is optimistic that a favorable decision will be made by the Court of Appeals, particularly as our witnesses were able to effectively counter the arguments raised by the camp of Teves," the DOJ said in a statement.
The DOJ likewise said that both parties were given 5 days to submit their respective position papers outlining their arguments.
The DOJ likewise said that both parties were given 5 days to submit their respective position papers outlining their arguments.
"The Court of Appeals of Timor Leste, thereafter, will have 5 days to render its decision. It is anticipated that a decision will be reached by the end of this week or early next week," the DOJ said.
"The Court of Appeals of Timor Leste, thereafter, will have 5 days to render its decision. It is anticipated that a decision will be reached by the end of this week or early next week," the DOJ said.
RELATED VIDEO
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT