Military chief to recommend martial law extension to Duterte

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Dec 03 2018 09:39 AM | Updated as of Dec 03 2018 12:09 PM

MANILA -- (UPDATE) Military chief General Carlito Galvez said Monday he would recommend to President Rodrigo Duterte a one-year extension of martial law in Mindanao, citing the "lurking" threat of terrorism.

The Philippine National Police supports the Armed Forces of the Philippines' move, saying martial rule would enable authorities to move against "lawless violence," said PNP Chief, Director General Oscar Albayalde.

"'Yun na nga ang magiging posisyon namin (that would be our position) because there is really a clamor for extension considering that terrorism is still lurking in the area," Galvez told reporters Monday.

Albayalde said martial law would help in security preparations for the Bangsamoro plebiscite in early 2019.

Martial law in the south is scheduled to end on Dec. 31. Congress in late 2017 voted to extend it throughout this year to quell alleged terrorist threats.

President Rodrigo Duterte placed Mindanao under martial law in the wake of the 5-month-long siege by Islamic State-inspired militants on Marawi City in May 2017.

Last week, Duterte ordered the deployment of additional troops to Samar, Negros Oriental, Negros Occidental, and the Bicol Region to respond to "sporadic acts of violence."

--report from Henry Atuelan, ABS-CBN News