MANILA - At least 40 families lost their homes after a fire razed the University of the Philippines (UP) Bliss Garden compound in Quezon City, Friday evening.
Initial investigations showed the fire started from a candle left burning inside a residence without electricity, Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) officials said.
The fire reached the third alarm as the flames had spread quickly because structures in the compound were made from light materials, the BFP said.
No deaths were reported, but one resident had to be brought to the hospital after sustaining a first degree burn on the legs, officials added.
The homeless families have been evacuated to the Barangay San Vicente multipurpose hall.
The worth of damage due to the fire has yet to be determined by officials.