October quakes cause over P1 billion in damage in Davao del Sur: official

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Nov 01 2019 05:36 PM | Updated as of Nov 01 2019 07:46 PM

Rescuers from the municipality of Magsaysay in Davao del Sur carry tarpaulins for distribution to evacuees following the magnitude 6.6 earthquake that hit Mindanao on October 29, 2019. The tremor that has so far claimed six lives jolted several parts of Mindanao as it reeled from the 6.3-magnitude quake that struck less than two weeks earlier. Manman Dejeto, ABS-CBN News

MANILA - The series of quakes that shook Mindanao in October caused over P1 billion in damage in Davao del Sur, a local official said Friday. 

Disaster officer Christopher Tan said damaged buildings in Davao del Sur grew in number, especially after a 6.5-magnitude tremor struck nearby Tulanan town in Cotabato on Thursday.

Tulunan was also the epicenter of the devastating 6.3-magnitude quake on Oct. 16 and the 6.6-magnitude temblor that struck on Oct. 29.

Due to the earthquakes that hit Mindanao, Davao del Sur's economy is facing a crisis.

Magsaysay town and Digos City in the province have been placed under a state of calamity. 

Officials said that their calamity funds, which would become accessible with the state of calamity declaration, are not enough to support and assist families whose houses were destroyed by the temblors. 

In Digos, 8 malls and grocery stores shut down due to cracks the quakes caused. Hagonoy town officials, meanwhile, gave water containers to affected residents after the area's water system was destroyed by the temblors.

The Digos local government pleaded for aid from the national government, saying they need tents, blankets, and mattresses for evacuees.

- Report from Vina Araneta-Pilapil, ABS-CBN News