ILOCOS SUR- The province of Ilocos Sur has declared a state of calamity after super typhoon "Lawin" hit northern Luzon last week.
As of posting time, total damage in the province was around P600 million.
Of this amount, P324 million are agricultural damages while P313 million are damage to infrastructure which includes two major bridges, according to the Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council.
A total of 42,530 individuals were affected.
Ilocos Sur Governor Ryan Luis Singson said the figures might still increase as damage reports are still coming in.
“Bale initial pa lang yung mga figures natin sa ngayon, at baka kapag pumasok ang reports mula sa mga upland Municipalities tataas nayan kaya talagang kailangan na natin ideklara ang state of calamity,” Singson said.
(These are only initial figures. When reports from upland municipalities arrive, those figures can still increase which is why we had to declare a state of calamity.)
Meanwhile, the Ilocos Sur Electric Cooperative (ISECO) targets to energize the entire province before the week ends.
Lawin, the strongest typhoon to hit the country this year, destroyed houses and establishments, toppled power and communication lines, and forced thousands to evacuate.
Tropical cyclone warning signal #4 was declared over Ilocos Sur on Wednesday (October 19), and then lowered to signal #1 on Thursday as Lawin left the country.