MANILA- Typhoon 'Lawin' (international name: Haima) left at least eight people dead and two others missing after it battered northern Luzon with howling winds and torrential rains, officials said.
In a press briefing on Thursday, Department of Interior and Local Government Director Edgar Allan Tabell said eight casualties have been reported so far: one from Region 1, three from Region 2, and four from Cordillera.
Tabell added that two people were also reported missing in region 2.
More than 18,000 families from different regions were also evacuated because of 'Lawin.'
According to Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) Undersecretary Vilma Cabrera, a total of 18,277 families or 80,277 people from regions 1, 2, 5 (pre-emptive evacuation), and the Cordillera Administrative Region, temporarily sought shelter.
As of 3 p.m. ,road closures were reported in the following areas: 28 in CAR, six in Benguet, Apayao, and Mountain Province, four in Kalinga, and three in Baguio and Ifugao.
Lawin, the strongest typhoon to hit the country this year, forced thousands to evacuate, destroyed houses, and toppled down trees and power lines in northern Luzon.
Visit the ABS-CBN Weather Center for the latest weather updates.