No more 'Red October' ouster plot, says defense chief

Jorge Cariño, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Oct 12 2018 02:58 PM

MANILA- The supposed "Red October" ouster plot against President Rodrigo Duterte has been aborted, Defense Chief Delfin Lorenzana said Friday.

Speaking to reporters, Lorenzana said the plot was abandoned after the military busted it.

“Wala na, hindi na natuloy yan kasi nabuking sila eh," he said.

(No, that will no longer push through because they were busted.)

The military earlier claimed that opposition groups were conspiring to remove Duterte from office.

The conspiracy allegedly includes supporters of ousted Chief Justice Maria Lourdes Sereno and the group Tindig Pilipinas, whose members incidentally include Liberal Party leaders.

Duterte previously urged the public to watch out for his critics' supposed move to oust him, which he said will "go into a high gear" this month. 

"We got a document really stating nakalagay dun Red October. Initially, merong mga kumpul, mga grupo, eh pero nung mabulgar sila nagpulasan na kaya hindi na matutuloy,” said Lorenzana. 

(Initially, there were groups but when they were busted, they cowered so the ouster plot will no longer push through.)

Lorenzana even joked that the military is now looking forward to a "White Christmas."