MANILA - The first bishop of the Diocese of Tandag in Surigao del Sur, Bishop Emeritus Ireneo Amantillo, passed away on Thursday.
The diocese announced that the bishop died at 8:25 a.m. at the Redemptorist House in Cebu City.
He was 83 and had been suffering from prostate cancer.
“Let us remember our beloved Bishop Ireneo in our Masses and prayers,” Bishop Raul Dael, the incumbent bishop of Tandag, said.
Amantillo served the diocese for 23 years beginning in 1978 until his retirement in 2001.
In 1962, he was ordained as a priest in Cebu and became a member of the Congregation of the Most Holy Redeemer.
He served as auxiliary bishop of the Archdiocese of Cagayan de Oro from 1976 to 1978.
Amantillo was the seventh Filipino prelate to pass away this year, according to the Catholic Bishops' Conference of the Philippines (CBCP). The others were:
- retired Bishop Jesus Varela of Sorsogon;
- retired Auxiliary Bishop Zacharias Jimenez of Butuan;
- Bishop Jose Oliveros of Malolos;
- retired Bishop Camilo Gregorio of Batanes;
- retired Archbishop Edmundo Abaya of Nueva Segovia; and,
- Bishop Wenceslao Padilla of Mongolia.