MANILA - Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said Tuesday he shot a campaign ad over the weekend, though he was still undecided on running in next year's elections.
Roque said he shot the ad only because it had been paid for. He said his decision to run for senator would depend on his discussions with President Rodrigo Duterte.
The President earlier said he needed Roque to stay in the administration, adding his spokesman would not win if he ran in the 2019 elections.
Roque admitted to reporters he was “taken aback” by the President’s statement about his chances. He said the President’s pronouncement was a “game changer” for him.
“We’ve had plans. Whatever happened in the last few days were really major deviation from plans that even the president knew about. For the past 5 or 6 months he has been calling me senator,” Roque said.
Roque was earlier offered the post of Press Secretary, a position that the Duterte government plans to revive, Palace Communications Secretary Martin Andanar said.
Roque quit Congress last year to become Duterte's spokesman, replacing former Presidential Spokesperson Ernesto Abella.