Magnitude 4.5 aftershock recorded at 1:40 a.m.
MANILA (2nd UPDATE) - A magnitude 5.7 earthquake struck Looc, Occidental Mindoro early Monday, rattling parts of Metro Manila and Calabarzon, the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) said.
The tremor caused 112 aftershocks as of 5 a.m., with the strongest measured at magnitude 4.5, according to Phivolcs chief Renato Solidum.
The aftershock was recorded at 1:40 a.m., with Intensity 1 reported in Abra de Ilog, Occidental Mindoro. It had a depth of 65 kilometers.
"Dahil ito ay malalim, itong mga aftershock 'di nagdulot ng pagkaramdam, isa lang na mahina at di naman ito mapanira," he told ABS-CBN's Teleradyo.
(Because the earthquake struck deep, the aftershocks were not felt, only a weak one and it was not damaging.)
Some social media users from different areas in the capital region and Calabarzon reportedly felt the quake lingering for a few minutes.
Guagua, Pampanga. Courtesy: Ernie Manio
According to Phivolcs, the quake happened at 1:12 a.m, 23 kilometers northeast of Looc.
It had a depth of 74 kilometers and was tectonic in origin.
Damage and aftershocks are possible, according to Phivolcs.
Location: Pampanga; Courtesy: Renz Daquiz
The following intensities were reported:
Intensity IV or a "moderately strong" shaking was felt in:
- Manila, Las Piñas, Malabon, Mandaluyong, Marikina, Muntinlupa, Parañaque, San Juan, Taguig, Pateros in Metro Manila
- Calatagan, Lian, Lipa City, Malvar and Nasugbu in Batangas
Malolos City and Obando in Bulacan
- Cavite City, General Trias City, Naic, Amadeo, Bacoor City, Dasmariñas City, Tagaytay City and Tanza in Cavite
- Biñan City and Cabuyao City in Laguna
- Abra De Ilog, Looc, Lubang and Mamburao in Occidental Mindoro
- Baco, Naujan and Puerto Galera in Oriental Mindoro
- San Mateo and Taytay in Rizal
Intensity III or a "weak" shaking was felt in:
- Makati, Pasay, Pasig, Quezon City, Valenzuela City in Metro Manila
- Santo Tomas City in Batangas
- Santa Cruz, Occidental Mindoro
- Antipolo City
- Socorro town in Oriental Mindoro
Intensity II or a "slightly felt" shaking was reported in:
- Los Baños town in Laguna
- Palayan City in Nueva Ecija
Intensity I or a "scarcely perceptible" shaking was felt in Arayat, Pampanga.
-- with reports from Lyza Aquino, ABS-CBN News