MANILA (UPDATE) - The Metro Manila police on Tuesday filed a complaint against blogger Drew Olivar due to an online post on an alleged bomb threat.
Olivar, a supporter of President Rodrigo Duterte, was charged before the Department of Justice (DOJ) for supposedly violating Presidential Decree 1727, which bans spreading false information on bomb threats, the National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) said in its complaint affidavit.
Olivar claimed on Facebook that there might be a bombing last Friday, the 46th anniversary of late dictator Ferdinand Marcos' declaration of martial law, and that it would be scary to stage protests. No attack occurred then.
The DOJ however did not receive the police complaint due to insufficient evidence, according to Senior Insp. Myrna Diploma, public information officer of NCRPO.
Diploma said investigators have yet to have yet to complete evidence against the blogger, including the IP address of Olivar's Facebook post.
If there is basis to mount an investigation, Olivar will be given a chance to explain his side.
People found guilty of violating the anti-bomb joke degree can face imprisonment of up to 5 years and/or a fine of up to P40,000.
In a press conference last week, Olivar said he did not mean to alarm netizens over his online post and that he only wanted to remind his followers to take care. He added that he saw similar posts as early as Sept. 8.
This is not the first time that Olivar drew flak on social media.
He previously courted controversy for a video where he is seen mimicking sign language and making sounds in an apparent imitation of the hearing-impaired.
Olivar and Palace Communications Assistant Secretary Margaux "Mocha" Uson are facing a complaint before the Office of the Ombudsman over the video.
The duo first came under fire earlier for a controversial video featuring the jingle "pepedederalismo" - a play on the term federalism.
With a report from Dexter Ganibe, ABS-CBN News