MANILA - Blogger Drew Olivar will face a criminal complaint over his online post on an alleged bomb threat which has drawn flak, the Philippine National Police (PNP) said Monday.
Olivar had claimed on Facebook that there might be a bombing last Friday, the 46th anniversary of late dictator Ferdinand Marcos' declaration of martial law.
While Olivar may have "learned his lesson" from the incident, he will still be charged with violation of the anti-bomb joke law, PNP chief, Director General Oscar Albayalde told reporters.
"Hindi lang s'ya maaresto during that time because nangyari iyun medyo matagal na, but he will be formally charged in court," he added.
(He was not arrested because it has been a while since he made the claim, but he will be formally charged in court.)
Olivar had claimed the supposed plot may be similar to the Plaza Miranda bombing in Quiapo, Manila in 1971, adding that it would be scary to stage protests on EDSA. No such incident occurred then.
Olivar has said he did not mean to alarm netizens over his online post and that he only wanted to remind his followers to take care. He added that he saw similar posts as early as Sept. 8.
Making bomb jokes or spreading false information concerning bombs is illegal under Presidential Decree No. 1727.
People found guilty of the offense can face imprisonment of up to 5 years and/or a fine of up to P40,000.
This is not the first time that Olivar drew flak on social media.
He previously courted controversy for a video where he is seen mimicking sign language and making sounds in an apparent imitation of the hearing-impaired.
Olivar and Palace Communications Assistant Secretary Margaux "Mocha" Uson are facing a complaint before the Office of the Ombudsman over the video.
The duo first came under fire earlier for a controversial video featuring the jingle "pepedederalismo" - a play on the term federalism.