MANILA -- Authorities have identified 3 suspects in the hazing of a Philippine Military Academy cadet who died due to blunt force trauma last week.
Baguio Police said it was now considering as suspects the three third class cadets earlier identified as persons of interest in the hazing of Darwin Dormitorio, 20, who died Wednesday after complaining of stomach pain.
"We might add some more cadets depende sa lalabas sa investigation natin if they are involved directly or indirectly," Police Col. Allen Rae of Baguio Police said.
"Meron pa tayong 2 more persons of interest. Meron na kasing corroborating evidence as well as testimonies at nagbigay ng statements which tends to prove yung culpability nila."
Authorities are also looking into the possibility that Dormitorio was earlier beaten up as he was confined at the hospital twice in the previous month.
CCTV cameras where the maltreatment allegedly happened were "malfunctioning," according to Rae.
"As of now ang official na ano natin ay malfunctioning 'yung CCTV sa barracks kung saan allegedly nangyari 'yung maltreatment pero will still trying to coordinate sa PMA," he said.
Dormitorio's remains were flown back to his hometown in Cagayan de Oro on Saturday.
Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana and Interior Secretary Eduardo Año attended the send-off ceremony at Loakan Airport.
Año vowed for transparency in the investigation.
"We will make sure na walang cover-up at nakita natin ang tunay na nangyari. And then we will institute measures on how to prevent this kind of incident," he said.
-- Report from Micaella Ilao, ABS-CBN News