MANILA – If Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. want to face off in a rematch, they will have to work out a deal without the help of Top Rank chief executive Bob Arum.
This, after the veteran promoter said that he wants nothing to do with the event, which Mayweather and Pacquiao put in motion on Saturday through their social media accounts.
Mayweather got the ball rolling, announcing on Instagram that he was "coming back to fight Manny Pacquiao this year." The unbeaten American star is already anticipating another "nine-figure payday."
Pacquiao did his part to promote the fight, posting a video of his own on Twitter with the caption "50-1" – a reference to Mayweather's record.
"Good luck to them," Arum said when asked of the possible rematch, as quoted by Boxing Scene. "I don't want anything to do with it."
Pacquiao and Mayweather had fought in May 2015, the culmination of more than half a decade's worth of negotiations. It turned out to be the richest fight in the history of boxing, but failed to live up to the hype. Mayweather won a unanimous decision; Pacquiao would later reveal that he fought despite injuring his shoulder during training.
Rather than get involved in a new round of negotiations, Arum said he would much rather focus on "promoting premium fighters that are really in their primes."
"I don't want to get involved with two old men fighting for a payday, because they think the public is going to throw 'em millions of dollars," he said.
"Well, maybe the public will. Good. Good luck to them. I don't want to get involved," he stressed.
Mayweather retired after fighting Pacquiao, then came out of retirement to face off against UFC star Connor McGregor in another lucrative bout.
Pacquiao, for his part, got surgery on his shoulder then returned to action. He booked his first knockout win in almost a decade earlier this year, when he stopped Lucas Matthysse in Kuala Lumpur last July.
For more sports coverage, visit the ABS-CBN Sports website.