MANILA - House Speaker Alan Peter Cayetano and Davao City Rep. Paolo Duterte have co-authored and filed a bill seeking to create a separate executive department that would focus on the concerns of migrant workers.
Allies of President Rodrigo Duterte's son earlier endorsed a different candidate for Speaker. On Monday, the younger Duterte nominated Cayetano for the post, but with a warning that the latter is expected to step down after 15 months.
"Yung creation ng department of OFW at foreign employment, co-author ko diyan ay walang iba kundi si Congressman Paolo 'Pulong' Duterte, deputy speaker natin," Cayetano said in a Facebook video on Monday.
The President had called for the creation of an OFW department, an agency for disaster resilience and the disbursement of the coco levy trust funds during his fourth State of the Nation Address last Monday.
Cayetano had filed 3 separate bills for these initiatives.
Also among the first bills he filed in the 18th Congress are those seeking the following:
- Institutionalization of a national values and etiquette program
- National program to care for abandoned and voluntarily committed children
- Microfinance programs for micro, small and medium enterprises
- Additional support and compensation for educators
- Creation of a Department of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources
- National Health Passport System
- National Economic Decentralization Plan
The House hoped to start committee hearings next week, said Cayetano, who spent his first day as Speaker mingling with lawmakers and employees and Tuesday.
Report from RG Cruz, ABS-CBN News