MANILA - The Philippines’ former ambassador to South Korea was accused in February this year of sexual harassment at his diplomatic post, the Department of Foreign Affairs said Saturday.
In a statement, the DFA said the Philippine Embassy in Seoul received the complaint while the ambassador was in Manila on official business. The DFA did not name the envoy, who resigned from the service effective March 16.
A Yonhap news agency report described the accused as 69 years old, while the complainant was a South Korean woman.
The news report said the former ambassador has been placed on the Interpol’s wanted list, aimed at asking member states to locate and arrest him.
The alleged sexual harassment incident happened in December last year, Yonhap said.
The DFA said the complainant and the accused “cooperated with the proceedings conducted by the investigating Committee,” held after it received the complaint.
While the DFA said the allegations were probed by the DFA’s Committee on Decorum and Investigation, it did not say what the findings were.
“The Department is committed to ensuring that justice is rendered in this case,” it said.
“It also remains committed in cultivating and preserving a work environment where all personnel are treated with respect and dignity, and free from harassment of any kind.”