COVID-19 cases breach 60,000 ahead of UP study-projected date

Kristine Sabillo, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Jul 16 2020 04:51 PM | Updated as of Jul 16 2020 09:57 PM

Members of the Philippine National Police (PNP) man checkpoints around Navotas City’s borders on July 15, 2020 a day before the start of a 14-day lockdown to curb the spread of COVID-19 in the city. Jonathan Cellona, ABS-CBN News

MANILA (UPDATED) — The Philippines has logged over 2,000 additional coronavirus disease (COVID-19) cases on Thursday, breaching the total 60,000 projection of University of the Philippines researchers for the end of July. 

With 2,498 additional cases — the second highest since the start of the pandemic — the total number of cases is now at 61,266 while active cases is at 38,183.

The data is from 71 out of 84 COVID-19 laboratories.

Half or 1,246 are “fresh cases,” which refer to test results released within the last 3 days, and 1,252 are “late cases," or those released at least four days ago.

Of the total additional cases, 1,886 are from the National Capital Region, 198 from Cebu province, 57 from Cavite, 44 from Davao del Sur, and 44 from Laguna, according to the Department of Health. 

NCR has long been identified as the epicenter of the COVID-19 outbreak in the country. However, it has also seen a spike in cases since the easing of quarantine measures to revive economic activity.

Back in June, the UP OCTA Research group projected that with the current trends, the country is likely to hit 60,000 cases by end of July. Philippines hit the mark mid-month. 

The DOH also reported 467 additional recovered patients or a total of 21,440. The number of recovered patients have increased since last weekend because of data reconciliation of the DOH with the local government.

There are also 29 additional COVID-19 deaths or a total of 1,643 fatalities. 

“Of the 29 deaths, 8 (28%) in July, 19 (66%) in June, 2 (7%) in May. Deaths were from Region 7 (16 or 55%), NCR (9 or 31%), Region 11 (3 or 10%) and CARAGA (1 or 3%),” the DOH said in a note.

“Ang age range ay (The age range is) 18 to 80 years old,” said Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire during a televised briefing.

Fourteen or 48% of the additional deaths are aged 60 and above, she said, reminding the elderly population to avoid going out and to stay safe. 

Of the active cases, 90.7% have mild symptoms, 0.4% have severe symptoms and 0.5% are in critical condition. A total of 8.5% are asymptomatic. 

There were also 82 duplicate cases removed from the total count and three of these were previously tagged as recoveries.

“The total cases reported may be subject to change as these numbers undergo constant cleaning and validation,” the DOH said.