MANILA - Authorities confirmed Tuesday that one of two suicide bombers behind the July 3 twin blasts in Sulu was Filipino, the first validated case of a Philippine citizen involved in such an attack.
The Philippine National Police (PNP) has verified that Filipino Norman Lasuca was one of the bombers behind last week's blasts in Indanan town.
Eight people, including the bombers and three soldiers, were killed while 12 others were wounded in the incident.
The PNP said a DNA sample taken from Lasuca matched with a sample from his mother Vilma Alam Lasuca after a DNA analysis by the PNP Crime Laboratory.
The mother earlier told authorities that Lasuca was her son after she saw his severed head at the explosion site.
According to authorities and experts, the Indanan blast was the first time a Filipino had executed a suicide attack.
Authorities have not yet identified the second bomber as they are still conducting further investigation.
- Report from Maan Macapagal, ABS-CBN News