MANILA - The police officer who shot and killed a former soldier at a Quezon City quarantine checkpoint in April is liable for "failure to exercise prudence" in handling the latter who suffered from post-traumatic stress, the National Police Commission said Monday.
The Napolcom has yet to complete its findings, according to its vice chairman Rogelio Casurao.
"We are just completing our own findings as to the eligibility of these policemen to say goodbye to their service. Probably in a very short period of time we’ll be able to inform already the public about the fate of these policemen who were found to be responsible also, administratively responsible for the death of Sgt. (Winston) Ragos," he told ANC.
"The liability is of course in so far as their failure to exercise prudence in the handling of Sgt. Ragos. It did not merit they should have shot at Sgt. Ragos. It did not require that drastic action."
The Napolcom is still looking into whether Ragos was carrying a firearm, Casurao said.
Police said a caliber .38 gun was found in Ragos' bag but a witness said the ex-soldier was unarmed during the incident.
"As we talk, the writing of the facts, arguments, findings, evaluation is still in progress. These observations are being taken into consideration.
The National Bureau of Investigation last month filed murder, perjury and planting of evidence charges against the policemen involved.