MANILA-- The Philippines has decided to keep its ban on the entry of foreign nationals for now, Malacañang said Thursday even as the country further eased virus restrictions.
Presidential Spokesman Harry Roque said authorities have yet to decide on an appeal to allow the entry of foreign nationals for work in the Philippines.
"Ang desisyon po ay huwag munang papasukin ang mga dayuhan," he said in a Palace press briefing.
(The decision is not to let foreigners in for now.)
"Ang desisyon po... ay huwag papasukin muna ang kahit sinong dayunan, maliban sa mga kasal po sa mga Pilipino," he added.
(Only foreigners married to Filipinos are allowed to enter the country.)
The government last month formed a sub-technical working group to study and address the management of foreign nationals who request to enter the Philippines for work.
"Bagama’t bumuo po ng technical working group para tingnan kung talagang mayroong urgency na papasukin, lalung-lalo na iyong mga dayuhan sa Build, Build, Build, pero wala pa pong desisyon."
(Even though a technical working group was formed to see if there is an urgency to let foreigners, especially those needed for the Build, Build, Build program in the country, there is no decision yet.)
Only returning Filipino citizens and their families, Filipino migrant workers, permanent residents, and diplomats are allowed to enter the Philippines.
Foreign nationals stuck in the Philippines, however, are free to leave the country.