Zamboanga Sibugay says first COVID-19 case recorded

RJ Rosalado, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Jun 25 2020 03:52 PM

MANILA - Zamboanga Sibugay on Wednesday recorded its first case of COVID-19, contrary to the Department of Health's data, its governor said.

The first virus patient in the province is a female resident who arrived from Cebu City last June 16 along with 24 others, according to Governor Wilter Palma.

The patient is asymptomatic and stable, he said.

The DOH's COVID-19 tracker shows 2 active cases in the province, who were reported in Metro Manila and Cebu City but whose home addresses were in Zamboanga Sibugay, Palma said.

"Mali yung data. Mali yung sistema ng DOH. Sana kung saan siya nag-positive, doon nila i-count, hindi ba?" he said.

(The data is wrong. The DOH's system is wrong. We hope they recorded the patient where they tested positive for the virus.)

Western Mindanao has so far recorded 222 COVID-19 cases, with Zamboanga City topping the list with 196, followed by Zamboanga del Sur with 18, and Zamboanga del Norte with 5.

At least 20 of these cases involve returning residents and overseas Filipino workers.

The Philippines has recorded 32,295 coronavirus infections, with 8,656 recoveries and 1,204 deaths, as of June 24.