'Cebu 8' released on orders of court

Annie Perez, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Jun 08 2020 08:45 PM

CEBU CITY - The so-called "Cebu 8" who were apprehended during an anti-terror bill rally last week in front of the University of the Philippines-Cebu campus, were released from police detention Monday night on orders by a local court.

The Cebu City Municipal Trial Court ordered the release of the 7 protesters and a bystander even as they were required to submit their counter-affidavits within 10 days from release.

No bail amount was set for their release.

The eight walked out of the Cebu City Police detention facility past 6 p.m.

“We would like to express our sincerest gratitude to various organizations and individuals who have supported the calls for their immediate release,” said King Perez, the group's spokesperson.

The group is set to file charges against the police.

Police Regional Office 7 Director Ignatius Ferro stood his ground that the 8 individuals violated General Community Quarantine protocols.

“They were the ones who went to the fence of UP, who is at fault first? They even have no permit to rally,” Ferro said.

The Commission on Human Rights has started its moto proprio investigation on the incident.

The 7 protesters are Bern Cañedo of Youth Act Now Against Tyranny Cebu; Dyan Gumanao of Kabataan Partylist; Al Ingking, a former student of UP Cebu; Jaime Paglinawan of Baong Alyansang Makabayan in Central Visayas; Joahanna Veloso of the National Union of Students of the Philippines; and Nar Porlas and Janry Ubal from Food Not Bombs Cebu.

The bystander was identified as Clement Corominas.

They were charged with unlawful assembly, disobedience and violating Republic Act 11332 or Mandatory Reporting of Notifiable Diseases and Health Events of Public Health Concern Act.