MANILA- President Rodrigo Duterte has signed into law a measure that aims to improve the lives of farmers and fishermen through enterprise development.
Republic Act No. 11321 or the "Sagip Saka Act," signed on April 17, 2019, provides mechanisms for the "Farmers and Fisherfolk Enterprise Development Program."
The program promotes the establishment of enterprises involving agricultural and fishery products as well as partnerships and alliances between farmers and fisherfolks, and the private sector to improve market access.
Farmers and fishermen under the new law can avail of assistance in skills development, wider access to financing in the form of credit grants and crop insurance, and access to improved technologies for research and development.
The development program covers the following areas:
- agricultural and fisheries production
- acquisition of work animals, farm and fishery equipment and machinery
- acquisition of seeds, fertilizer, poultry, livestock, feeds, and other similar items
- procurement of agricultural and fisheries products for storage, trading, processing, and distribution
- construction, acquisition, and repair of facilities in support of agriculture and fisheries
- working capital for agriculture and fisheries graduates to enable them to engage in economic activities
- agribusiness activities in support of soil and water conservation
- working capital for long-gestating projects
- credit guarantees on uncollateralized loans to farmers and fisherfolk
An oversight committee known as the Farmers and Fisherfolk Enterprise Development Council is also formed under the new measure to ensure the proper implementation of the program.
Read the full measure here: