MANILA — The petition of former youth commissioner Ronald Cardema to be a substitute representative of party-list group Duterte Youth in the House of Representatives is facing "at least 10" oppositions, the Commission on Elections (Comelec) said Friday.
In a press conference, Comelec spokesperson James Jimenez said the poll body's en banc has yet to resolve the plea due to the volume of formal oppositions filed against Cardema.
Cardema's bid to stand in as the youth group's first nominee has drawn heavy criticism as he is 33 years old, three years over the age limit for youth representation.
"Iyung substitution hindi pa rin napagdedesisyonan dahil may mga opposition. Apparently marami ang nakapag-file ng opposition... As of last count mahigit 10 ang nag-file ng opposition," Jimenez told reporters.
(The substitution bid has not been decided because of the opposition. Apparently, there were several who filed an opposition... As of last count, more than 10 filed.)
Jimenez said the Comelec en banc would have to address the oppositions before it could decide whether or not it would grant Cardema's bid to sit as Duterte Youth representative.
"So kailangang i-address muna 'yung mga petitions na 'yun."
(We need to first address those petitions.)
He added that some oppositions may be consolidated especially those that raise the same substantial issues.
Cardema's wife Ducielle and 4 other nominees of Duterte Youth withdrew their candidacies on May 12, a day before the midterm elections. Cardema filed his petition for substitution on the same day.
Cardema has also been accused of using his post as head of the National Youth Commission to campaign for the party-list.
Cardema was present at the proclamation of winning party-list groups on Wednesday. He was known to have also attended a meeting of sectoral representatives earlier this week and has added "incoming congressman" to his personal information on his Facebook page.
Jimenez said he could not provide a timeline as to when the case will be resolved but "what's important is the party-list was already proclaimed."