Gadon wants to block ABS-CBN plea vs closure

Mike Navallo, ABS-CBN News

Posted at May 18 2020 03:40 PM

Larry Gadon delivers his introductory remarks during the Harapan 2019 Senatorial Town Hall Debate at ABS-CBN on February 17, 2019. Jonathan Cellona, ABS-CBN News

MANILA -- Lawyer Lorenzo Gadon on Monday asked the Supreme Court to block ABS-CBN Corp's plea that urged the tribunal to stop a regulator's order that shut the network's broadcast operations.

Gadon said the court should not entertain ABS-CBN's petition for a temporary restraining order because it went straight to SC without going to the Court of Appeals or without exhausting other remedies such as a motion for reconsideration before the National Telecommunications Commission.

The lawyer, who was suspended last year over "abusive language," said ABS-CBN could no longer avail of a TRO or a writ of injunction because the NTC implemented its cease and desist order.

ABS-CBN said there was no other recourse except to go to the Supreme Court, citing the urgency of the issue and the irreparable repercussions on public interest.

On Monday, ABS-CBN reiterated its plea for the Supreme Court to immediately issue a TRO stop millions of losses that run up to P35 million daily and save 11,000 jobs.

Gadon is not a party to ABS-CBN's TRO plea against the NTC closure order but he has a pending petition with the high court seeking to stop the NTC from issuing a provisional authority to ABS-CBN.

He now wants ABS-CBN's TRO petition consolidated with his earlier petition saying the issues in the two petitions are "closely intertwined."

Gadon filed his petition on March 5. The Supreme Court has not acted on it.