MANILA (UPDATE) -Storm signal number 3 was raised over parts of Bicol region and Eastern Visayas on Thursday morning due to the threat of Typhoon Ambo, the state weather bureau said.
The first storm of the year will likely intensify further before it hits land over Northern Samar or the northern portion of Eastern Samar later Thursday before heading to Sorsogon, according to PAGASA.
In its 8 a.m. advisory, PAGASA said the following areas were placed under signal no. 3, where winds may blow off roofs made of medium strength materials such as timber and galvanized iron:
- eastern section of Albay (Legazpi City, Manito, Daraga, Camalig, Jovellar, Santo Domingo, Bacacay, Rapu-Rapu)
- Ticao Island
- Northern Samar
- northern portion of Eastern Samar (Jipapad, Arteche, Maslog, Dolores, Oras, San Policarpio, Can-avid, Taft, Sulat, San Julian, Borongan City)
- northern portion of Samar (Calbayog City, Sta. Margarita, Gandara, Pagsanghan, San Jorge, Matuguinao, San Jose de Buan)
Signal no. 2, where winds of 61-120 kph may damage poorly constructed signs/billboards and down wooden or old electric posts, was hoisted over the following areas:
- southeastern portion of Quezon (Tagkawayan, Guinayangan, Buenavista, San Narciso, Mulanay, San Andres, San Francisco)
- Camarines Norte
- Camarines Sur
- rest of Albay
- Burias Island
- northern portion of mainland Masbate (Aroroy, Baleno, Masbate City, Mobo, Uson, Dimasalang, Palanas, Cataingan, Pio V. Corpuz)
- rest of Samar
- rest of Eastern Samar
Signal no. 1 was raised in the following areas, where rice crops may suffer significant damage and some banana plants may be tilted:
- Metro Manila
- southern portion of Aurora (Baler, San Luis, Dingalan)
- southern portion of Nueva Ecija (Bongabon, Gabaldon, General Tinio, Laur, San Leonardo, Peñaranda, Gapan City)
- rest of Quezon, Marinduque, and the eastern portion of Romblon (Banton, Corcuera, Calatrava, San Agustin, Romblon, Magdiwang, San Fernando, Cajidiocan
- northern portion of Leyte (Calubian, San Isidro, Tabango, Villaba, Leyte, Kananga, Capoocan, Carigara, Barugo, San Miguel, Babatngon, Tunga, Jaro, Alangalang, Sta. Fe, Tacloban City, Palo, Pastrana, Dagami, Tabontabon, Tanauan, Tolosa, Ormoc City, Matag-ob, Palompon, Merida, Isabel, Albuera, Burauen, Julita, Dulag)
At 7 a.m., Ambo was spotted 185 kilometers east southeast of Catarman, Northern Samar, moving westward at 15 km per hour with maximum winds of 155 kph and 190 kph gusts.
The typhoon is bearing down on the Philippines as efforts to contain the coronavirus pandemic continued. Metro Manila has been locked down, with most businesses shuttered since March 16.
Around 20 major storms in a year hit the Philippines, the closest major landmass facing the Pacific typhoon belt.
Visit the ABS-CBN Weather Center for more updates