Vows to fight Inquirer owners over Makati property and hits NYT
President Rodrigo Duterte on Thursday said he would block the renewal of ABS-CBN's franchise, which expires in 2020, after accusing the company of accepting money for a campaign ad that failed to air before the May 9, 2016 polls, and then failing to return the money.
Speaking to reporters in an ambush interview, Duterte alleged that other politicians may be in the same boat, and that this was ground for not allowing the company to operate.
Duterte said ABS-CBN's franchise has been there for 25 years. Its renewal is pending in Congress.
"So, I will file a complaint. Congress, no need to renew it. But to operate is something else, so I will point this out, yung basura ninyo. Then we’ll see."
Duterte also attacked the Philippine Daily Inquirer for issuing stinging editorials against him, and said he will fight the Inquirer's owners over the Mile Long property in Makati.
A dispute between the government and the owners of the prime property is pending in court.
"I will recover the property for the Filipino. Everybody who has a tax obligation must talk now. Within 6 months time, I will go after them," he said.
Duterte said he is intent on taking on the country's oligarchs, which he had been railing against since the 2016 presidential campaign.
He also criticized the New York Times for its scathing piece that called for his condemnation, saying the publication must stop.
News.abs-cbn.com is the general news website of ABS-CBN Corp.