MANILA - Manila Mayor Francisco "Isko Moreno" Domagoso has ordered the total shutdown of a barangay which had been conducting leisure activities despite the Luzon-wide lockdown, exposing residents to the risk of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), the city's public information office (PIO) said Monday.
In a social media post, the Manila PIO said Moreno issued Executive Order No. 19, which would place Barangay 20 on total shutdown starting 8 p.m. on Tuesday until 8 p.m. on Wednesday.
Moreno issued the order after he discovered that residents have been engaging in leisure activities such as boxing and bingo despite the enhanced community quarantine, according to the Manila PIO.
The mayor also ordered disease surveillance, testing and rapid risk assessment operations in the barangay.
Since March 17, Luzon has been placed under lockdown, which strictly enforces home quarantine and prohibits mass gatherings, to curb the spread of COVID-19.