CEBU CITY - A new suspect in the brutal slay of 16-year-old Christine Lee Silawan has been arrested, and that he supposedly ripped off her face as inspired by the 'Momo' challenge.
Renato Llenes, the 2nd suspect in the case, claimed he killed Silawan when she refused to get intimate with him upon finding out his real identity.
Llenes said he was obsessed with the victim whom he met through Facebook, where he used a dummy account with a fake name called CJ Diaz to hide his identity. He and Silawan allegedly met in person on March 10, a day before the victim was found dead, at the Sacred Heart Parish in Barangay Pajac.
Llenes said the teen walked away from him after expressing dismay during their meet-up. He supposedly chased her until they reached the vacant lot in Bankal, Lapu-Lapu City, where the victim was stabbed multiple times.
Llenes said he skinned off the victim's face with a pair of scissors to conceal her identity. Police said they recovered the pair of scissors when Llenes was arrested on Tuesday.
"Oo ako siyang gipatay tungod na sab sa drugas (Yes, I killed her because also I used drugs during that time)," Llenes said.
The suspect denied raping the teenager and said he surrendered because his conscience had been bothering him.
Llenes was initially charged Wednesday with illegal possession of firearms and violation of the election gun ban.
The suspect's counsel, Manuel Degollacion of the Public Attorney's office (PAO) said the suspect wasn't coerced to admit committing the crime.
Philippine National Police chief, Police Gen. Oscar Albayalde said the CCTV footage largely contributed in identifying and tracking the suspect.
Albayalde said they will be filing a separate case against Llenes, while the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) in Central Visayas has a pending case against a 17-year-old suspect and a former lover of the victim before the Lapu-Lapu City Prosecutor's Office.