MANILA (UPDATE) - Former Davao City Vice Mayor Paolo Duterte on Wednesday rejected accusations that he pocketed payoffs from a narcotics syndicate.
President Rodrigo Duterte's eldest son slammed a certain "J.S." for supposedly releasing an online video that linked him and Agriculture Assistant Secretary Waldo Carpio to an illegal drug ring.
"Wow ha kung makaimbento ka wagas. Galit ka kay Waldo kasi binabara niya lahat ng smuggling mo ng bigas at asukal diba J. S.," the younger Duterte wrote in a Facebook post.
(Wow, you fabricate stories no end. You're mad at Waldo because he blocks your rice and sugar smuggling [business], aren't you, JS?)
Carpio is a sibling of Manases Carpio, the President's son-in-law and husband of Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte.
Paolo also claimed that he, too, drew the ire of JS after snubbing him on a plane.
"Galit ka sa akin kasi di kita pinansin sa eroplano kasi hambog ka! Ngayon pansinin na kita kasama ng kamay ko na kasing laki ng mukha mo pag nangyari yan. Yan ang totoong balita," he said.
(You're mad at me because I snubbed you on a plane because you're arrogant. I'll give you attention now with my fist that's as big as your face. That's the real news.)
A YouTube video uploaded Tuesday showed a list of "tara" or grease money allegedly deposited in the accounts of drug lords with the code names "POLODELTA-TSG01" and "ALPHA TIERRA-0029."
The 6-minute clip's narrator claimed that the bank accounts belonged to Carpio, who allegedly transferred P170 million and P210 million in separate instances last year to Paolo Duterte's purported account under an international bank.
Information on the tara supposedly came from a certain "Bikoy,” who claimed he was a member responsible for recording the finances of the drug ring that allegedly operates in Southern Luzon and Visayas.
The video titled "Ang Totoong Narco List - Episode 1" racked up 58,000 views on YouTube alone and was re-posted by several Facebook pages.
PALACE HITS 'BLACK PROPAGANDA'
Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo labeled the allegations against the President's son as "a black propaganda intended to besmirch and destroy [President Duterte] and his family."
"But just like the other false narratives against the President, it will not succeed as the overwhelming majority of the Filipino people trust his sincerity and fidelity to his duty as President in serving and protecting the citizenry as well as believe in his incorruptibility," Panelo said in a statement.
Panelo said the President's enemies and detractors "will always try to discredit him but they are doomed to fail," citing how the chief executive won the presidential race and has remained popular nearly three years into his term.
National police chief Police General Oscar Albayalde, meanwhile, cautioned the public against readily believing propaganda materials ahead of the election period.
"Nagbibigay po tayong babala at paalala sa ating mga netizens, sa ating mga kababayan, sa mahilig sa social media: these videos are all self-serving," he told reporters.
(We are giving a warning and reminder to our citizens, compatriots, those who are fond of social media: these videos are all self-serving.)
"Hindi natin alam kung ano ang gustong ipahayag n'yan at kung ano talaga motibo sa pagpapalabas ng video na 'yan. Remember election po ngayon so maraming propaganda na lalabas at huwag po sana tayong maniwala basta-basta sa mga ganito," he added.
(We don't know what it wants to express and what the motive is behind its release. Remember that it's election season so a lot of propaganda will surface and let us not readily believe these.)
Albayalde said it was also "very unlikely" for "tara" records to be kept in a formal report form.
Records of payoffs from illegal gambling previously seized by authorities were kept in "blue books" or small notebooks, he noted.
The police will only investigate the issue if they are ordered or formally asked to do so, said Albayalde.
The President's son is running for Representative of Davao City's first district in May's midterm elections.