MANILA - Sen. Christopher "Bong" Go said Wednesday he will undergo self-quarantine after he was exposed to ACT-CIS party-list Rep. Eric Go Yap, who was found out to have caught the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).
"Since protocol requires that those who were directly exposed to persons positive for COVID-19 need to undergo self-quarantine, I am left with no choice but to comply," he said in a statement.
Go was earlier tested for COVID-19 after a resource person in a Senate hearing contracted the disease. The senator's results turned out negative.
"It is unfortunate that Cong. Eric Yap has tested positive for COVID-19. We are currently initiating contact tracing, particularly those present during a meeting I attended last Saturday (March 21)," the senator said.
Yap said Wednesday he had been diagnosed with COVID-19 and admitted that he had attended a Palace meeting on March 21 and the special session in Congress on March 23 despite having symptoms of the respiratory illness.
The lawmaker apologized and appealed for understanding to those whom he may have exposed to the virus.
"Humihingi ako ng patawad at pag-unawa mula sa mga taong nakasalamuha ko. I was paranoid dahil may kaunting ubo akong naramdaman but I felt it was normal for me," the lawmaker said.
(I apologize and seek understanding from people I mingled with. I was paranoid because I had a slight cough but I felt it was normal for me.)
The Palace, in a statement released Wednesday, expressed concern about Yap's health.
"We are sorry to hear about the medical condition of Cong. Eric Yap. We hope and pray that he gets well from COVID-19," presidential spokesperson Salvador Panelo said.
He added, "We urge those who were in physical contact with him during the last 2 weeks to undergo the 14 day self-quarantine protocol for their protection."
Two senators -- Miguel Zubiri and Koko Pimentel -- have so far tested positive for COVID-19.