MANILA - President Rodrigo Duterte on Thursday formally announced the end of government's peace negotiations with communist rebels.
This after Malacañang on Monday terminated a government panel tasked to hold peace talks with the National Democratic Front of the Philippines.
"I am officially announcing the permanent termination of our talks between the Government panel and the Communist Party of the Philippines," Duterte said in a speech at the Philippine Army's 122nd Founding Anniversary rites.
"I am no longer entertaining any interventions or persuasions in this democratic state of the Republic of the Philippines," he said, ending months of changing statements over whether or not he was willing to resume talks with the rebels.
Presidential Peace Adviser Carlito Galvez Jr. said earlier Thursday that panels composed of representatives from different sectoral groups, local government units, and the military will supervise localized peace engagements.
Duterte had signed Proclamation No. 360 on Nov. 23, 2017 declaring the termination of peace negotiations with the National Democratic Front of the Philippines - Communist Party of the Philippines - New People's Army.
Another resumption was scheduled in late June last year but it was canceled as the government sought to review all agreements the communists signed with past administrations.
In December 2018, Duterte signed Executive Order No. 70 directing the creation of a national task force to “end local communist armed conflict.”
Government has also sought the declaration of the communist movement as a terrorist group.